Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Altec Valencia 846B's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member bdblkta's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2010
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec Valencia 846B's

    Hello all, I?m Josh

    I joined your forum upon someones recommendation recently because I was fortunate enough to have gotten a nice pair of Valencia 846B?s that I want to learn about and repair.

    The speakers are in pretty nice shape with some chips in the veneer and some scratching but nothing to bad. One of the speakers had the original 806A w/811 horn and 416-8Z, the other cabinet only had the 806A w/811 horn and a radio shack realistic that had rotted away.

    I am trying to locate some information about the particular 416 that I have as I can?t find one similar. All of the things I have read state that the 416-8Z is the same as the 416-8A just that the Z has no magnet cover. Well the one I have does in fact have the cover. I am just trying to find out if it would be ok to purchase a 416-8A if I can?t locate and 8Z?

    I plan to send the horns to GPA as I have read that is the place to send them to get the best service.

    Now to the other question that I am having trouble locating an answer for. I do know there is a search function but I get lost in the technical info in the posts about crossovers. Can someone please tell me what caps (values and brands) I will need to rebuild the crossovers back to stock? I would like to stay as close to original as possible and I am hoping to see some pictures of the crossovers after they have been rebuilt. Again I know this has been gone over many times but I?m a visual learner and don?t comprehend things as well just from reading.

    I have included a picture of the speaker in question.

    Thank you for all of your help and having a great forum for me to learn on. Josh

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Valencia 846B's

    Welcome Josh!

    That woofer is actually the later 416-8B alnico with the large 16" frame. So to match it, find a single 416-8B. Nice woofer!

    Personally, for crossovers I'd find a pair of Model 19 or 1201-8A.
    way better than what's in there.

    The valencia isn't much different than the M19. The box is a bit smaller.

    If the horn drivers work, they are likely fine. But since someone blew up one of the woofers, might be good to check them.

    Down the road, I suggest some 902-8A or 802-8G drivers.

    Have fun!

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Valencia 846B's

    Actually, it says 416-8Z on the white stick on label.

    To me , it "looks" like the stepped return pot of the 416-8B motor, it's not a cover to the extent that if you were to remove it, the woofer would no longer function and probably be beyond repair.

    In this case, i would be tempted to disregard the label that says 416-8Z, and simply call it a plain labeled 416-8B. A 416-8B is what i'd be seeking for a mate.

    The crossover is N800-8K, if you have no luck here, try searching at Audiokarma as i'm sure Zilch has posted a schematic with component values for the stock N800-8K.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Valencia 846B's

    Ron cut a perfect light on that post and beat me to it!

    Personally, for crossovers I'd find a pair of Model 19 or 1201-8A.
    way better than what's in there.
    Agree that the EQ/comp'd network is far better sounding, i'd not make the change without swapping out more sensitive HF drivers though. In this case i think the OP would be limited to 902's as 802's are about 1/2-3/4 inch too long..................... there's always the jig saw.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Valencia 846B's

    My 19's have 8Z's with no magnet cover, naturally they're 16" frames as well. I met another 19 owner in Toronto that also has 8Z's in his. How many different 416 versions were used in the model 19? Just the B, C and Z?

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec Valencia 846B's


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Valencia 846B's

    I'd wager that there aren't too many 19's with the 416Z woofer. Agreed that is definitely a 416-8B without the foilcal label.Is that 806 a 16 ohm driver with a 8 ohm woofer Hmmm ?? I would use a 902.

    BTW: :welcome: To the board Josh, Look around and have Fun there are a lot of nice Folks here. Regards ~ John

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bdblkta's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2010
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Valencia 846B's

    Thank you to all who have responded. So from the research I've been doing I have come up with a plan. I will locate a 416-8b box it up with the one I have, box up my horn drivers and send them all to GPA to have them all rebuilt. Does this sound like a good idea? Please remember I am new to the higher end speaker world so I would like to here these as they were meant to be before modifying. Thanks for any advice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.